Immediately following Brooke’s accident, a trust was formed to help fund Brooke’s recovery, but upon her passing, the BrookeStrong Foundation was created in her honor. The Foundation is now focused on giving life to others, as Brooke did, through the lives she saved as an organ donor.
Although there have been many advances in the field of donation and transplantation due to enhanced medical technology, a critical shortage of organs available for transplant still exists.
- Last year, nearly 28,000 lives were saved due to the generosity of organ donors. Today, more than 123,000 children and adults await life-saving transplants.
- In Florida alone, more than 5,500 people are registered on the transplant waiting list.
- More than 25,000 tissue donors and 40,000 cornea donors provide life-enhancing gifts every year, yet hundreds of thousands more continue to need these precious gifts.
- Every 10 minutes another name is added to the national transplant waiting list, and an average of 21 lives are lost each day due to the lack of organs available for transplant.
- According to national research conducted by Donate Life America, more than 90 percent of Americans support donation but only 30 percent know the steps necessary to designate their wishes twice over.
The Gap Continues to Widen
Becoming an Organ Donor:
Inform your family of your decision, so that they understand the need to honor your wishes.